Sunday, April 17, 2011

How important is Food and Health to you?

Hello everyone!

Sorry I have not blogged for the longest time.

After recovering from consuming take-out foods I got sick from, I decided to blog about food.

Being raised from a Korean family, my mother had instilled some traditional Korean values to me. I'm not too into traditional ideas but I learned to value that food and your health should be your #1 priority. Without health, you cannot do anything.

My mother never consumes fast foods/take-outs because she considered it "Unclean food". You don't know how the food is handled before serving it to you. You don't know how well hand-washing was performed or if they have done it at all. You will know after you get sick from the food. After working a few minimum wage jobs in food services when I was in high school, I was disgusted and horrified how some people deal with food served to the public.

My mother also believed that it was unhealthy to consume foods outside of home. I was sort of sad during my childhood that she would not purchase chips, pop, and pizza like other parents do. I appreciate it much later on that my mother cooked healthy meals. She was always concerned about my health and well-being.

My mother has been cooking for the family on a daily basis. Every morning, she wakes up 6AM in the morning to cook. I have recently learned to greatly appreciate this as years go by. She has Carpal Tunnel Syndrome from working hard in a factory and I am very impressed to see that she cooks everyday. I have learned some mothers who occupy the domestic space, have no job/career, have two hands that function well enough to cook and yet they do not cook for their spouse and children.

I have developed the greatest respect for my mother and learned to value food and health as she did. I know its also related to the Korean Culture. My boyfriend was over at my place yesterday and we watched a Korean food show and he was teasing how the Koreans audience let out this Amusement sound every 10-30 seconds of the show every time a dish was presented or showing off the ingredients or when the Celebrities took their first bite of the dish. Koreans can go crazy over food. Although, I haven't been to Korea, I am aware Koreans do all sorts of activities to elongate their lives like go to a Sauna, exercise outdoors/gym, go to an outdoor gym open to public and they go wild on natural health products.

How important is Food and Health to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment